Return to main page.
- Created a cabinet stability modeling program for custom configured rack systems. This allowed prediction of safety data without actual construction of a sample configuration. Agency approved configurations could be shipped for assembly at customer sites.
- By measuring surface temperatures of a rack mount product both outside and inside a rack installation, temperature rise data from type testing could be used to assure safe rack mount temperatures without disassembly and internal measurement of parts. Test plan was approved by certifying agencies.
- Created overvoltage test equipment using water cooled loads and economical design. We achieved substantial cost savings and reduced testing time.
- Built our own impulse tester for CATV circuits, not yet available on the market, providing test capability then only available at UL. This allowed testing to draft standards and speeded approval time.
- Modified a leakage meter to maintain calibrated readings at extremes of measurement ranges.
- Negotiated agreement to use small isolation capacitors in Scandinavia where normal requirements led to capacitors too big to fit the application.
- Arranged approval of lab and acceptance of test data through
UL's Compass and Client Test Data Program,
CSA's Category program and
TUV's Acceptance of Client Test data program.
- Arranged upgrade of older circuit designs so telecom circuits would meet the new ITE telecom overvoltage requirements.
- Introduced Class II designs to reduce product costs and provide safer two wire plugs for home products. This involved cooperative work with EMC designers to eliminate dependence on grounding.
- Introduced the smaller IEC 320 C7 connector to replace the C13 style resulting in smaller, lower cost products.
- Improved approvals and marketability of products by implementing supplementary insulation requirements needed by Scandinavia.
- Used Class 2 limited power protection methods to improve product safety and simplify product approvals
- Created a modified online IEC 60950 standard incorporating hyperlinked national deviations, interpretations and proposals with each clause.
- Created a product safety course and provided training in safety standards to engineers to improve safety and reduce redesign costs.
- Created a web site with departmental, process, standard and other relevant information for ready access to engineers.
- Reviewed products in CAD and other development stages to correct shortcomings and prevent need for rework.
- Changed the agency used for European approvals, resulting in substantial reduction in cycle cost and time.
- Changed agency for US approvals resulting in substantial reduction in cost and time.
- Created a complete set of over fifty test procedures
and test data forms based on the latest version of IEC 60950, acceptable to
all agencies for product certification.